tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 06 01:12:23 1995

Relative clauses; veqlargh & ghe''or

(1) [email protected] (Nick Legend Nicholas) qwrote:-

> human languages follow an acessibility hierarchy for the heads of relative
> clauses. Any language that has relative clauses will allow their heads to be
> the subjects of the clauses (eg. "the child who saw me") ...

Hebrew and Arabic shoot a phaser through this tangle of ad-hoc word
rearrangements. Their relative clauses start with a marker ({'ashEr} in
Hebrew, {'allAdhii} in Classical Arabic, {'illi} or similar in most modern
Arabic, rendered here as `wh-'), and the antecedent (if it isn't the subject)
is referred to in the relative clause by a pronoun (word or suffix) which is
in its usual place. (Arabs call that pronoun the `returner'.) Thus: the child
wh- saw me; the child wh- I saw him; the child wh- I gave him the phaser; the
child wh- I took his phaser; the child wh- I am bigger than him.

(2) What is the latest news on Captain Krankor coming back?

(3) I read once that the Fek'hlr / veqlargh and ghe''or appear in a Star Trek
episode called `Devil's Due', which I haven't seen. What happens in that
episode? In it, are ghe''or and the veqlargh mythical only? Or does anyone
actually see or meet either of them?

Back to archive top level