tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 28 03:43:54 1994

Re: KLBC (old)- SaQum

According to Mark Nudelman:

> I don't think it makes any more (or less) sense if you use "for the
> purpose of".  "For the purpose that I speak Klingon, I am not very
> skilled."  This sounds to me like you're saying you are deliberately
> being unskilled in order to speak Klingon.  Like "jagh tojmeH
> jIpo'qu'be'".
>
> --nachHegh
> [email protected]

So is the problem that I am using {-meH} to link with a verb
that is negated? If I said {tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhmeH jIpo'},
would that mean that I am skilled at speaking Klingon? It
seemed that ~mark's argument was that this would not make sense
and should be stated as {tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhDI' jIpo'}, which
strikes me as an unusually weak link between the having skill
and the speaking Klingon. Perhaps through idiomatic means the
link could carry more meaning, but I don't think we are trying
to create that kind of idiom here.

Perhaps we merely have a problem because the main verb is
negated. I guess I should not use the word "merely" because
this is probably not a very easy problem to solve. How do we
convey this meaning. I do something for the benefit of a goal.
I do not do something for the benefit of a goal. How do I
express this second meaning without slipping into the sense
that the not doing the thing is toward the benefit of the goal?

It makes sense for sentences like {jISo'meH jIchuSQo'}, meaning
"In order to hide, I will not be noisey." But how would I say,
"I refuse to be quiet in order to hide!"? By this, I mean that
I want to hide, but I will not go so far as to remain quiet in
order to accomplish that goal. "I will not surrender in order
to make peace!" How would I say that?

Hmmmm?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level