tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 27 06:30:16 1994

Re: KLBC (old)- SaQum

        Reply to:   RE>>KLBC (old): SaQum
jatlh charghwI':
>While it is true that in the two examples Okrand gives in TKD,
>he translates {-meH} as "in order to", he also offers "for, for
>the purpose of" in the text. Why do you think he bothered to
>list those if the only valid translation is "in order to"? In
>the table, it is listed as "for (purpose marker)". Why bother
>with THAT if the only valid translation is "in order to"?

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.  "In order to" and "for the purpose
of" seem pretty much synonymous to me.  I can't think of any examples
of English sentences where replacing one with the other makes any
significant difference in the meaning.  I usually translate -meH as
"in order to X", but I don't see that it would matter if I used "for the
purpose of X-ing".

>Yes, if you translate my sentence with "in order to", then it
>doesn't make much sense. So?

I don't think it makes any more (or less) sense if you use "for the
purpose of".  "For the purpose that I speak Klingon, I am not very
skilled."  This sounds to me like you're saying you are deliberately
being unskilled in order to speak Klingon.  Like "jagh tojmeH
jIpo'qu'be'".

--nachHegh
[email protected]

Back to archive top level