tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 08 20:47:24 1994

Re: Summer Events

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >    muneH chaH 'e' Sovta'be' neH "Paramount"
>
> >[Paramount wants me. They just don't know it yet.]
>
> Awwww, charghwI'; I know you can do better than that.  "Sovta'be'" is a
> strange construction to start with: "-ta'" is a perfective, indicating that
> the action is finished.  And how can you be "finished" knowing something?
> (cf Welsh, where (I think) the verbs "to know" (gwybod and adnabod) are
> never used in perfect tenses; only a verb like "sylwi"=realize is.  Or
> something).  I suppose you can use "realize" (tlhoj) or even SovchoH.  But
> you could even stick with Sov if you remember the important way to get to
> "not yet": "wej".
>
> >> Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos
>
> >charghwI'
>

> ~mark

I read the literal as "Paramount has merely not accomplished
the goal (since it OBVIOUSLY should be their goal) of knowing
that they want me." Also, there is CLEARLY an end to the
process of their ignorance. Fate would not allow such an
injustice to extend into perpetuity. If you insist:

muneH "Paramount", 'ach wej Sov chaH.

I don't like this as much because it loses the sense that {neH}
adds ("they *merely* do not know it yet"). Oh well.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level