tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 08 11:49:37 1994

qepHommaj (was Summer Events)

We're in business!

I spent the morning with the sales manager at the hotel, touring the
facilities and asking lots of pesky questions.  Here are the details.

$60 per room per night for single occupancy.

$65 per room per night for double occupancy.  That means two double-beds in
the room.  So if you find yourself a roomie, the two of you *split* the cost.
 It's $65 for the room, NOT per person.  Thus, four nights in such a room
would run each roomie $130.

Rooms include a complimentary continental breakfast.  Said breakfast includes
hot and cold cereal (ok, they may not have hot cereal in July), yogurt, your
choice of several kinds of juices, coffee, and assorted muffin type things.
 I believe all the rooms have cable television (you probably pay extra for
first-run movies, typical hotel stuff), and many of the rooms have small
refrigerators too!  Rooms on the second floor have nice little (very little)
balconies, and rooms on the ground floor (at least those facing the pool
area) have sliding glass doors so you can exit right out to the pool.

Facilties of the hotel include:

*  Fitness room (they've got a nice universal weight machine,
   and a couple exercycles too).
*  Outdoor pool (it's not exactly olympic size, but it will be
   fun I'm sure).
*  Volleyball court (you know the kind, a big sandy rectangle).
*  Picnic type areas and tables on the lawns surrounding the pool
   and volleyball areas.  Very peaceful and relaxing for when we
   get tired of hanging out in our rooms or the meeting room.
*  Conference room.  They have several and I put our dibs in for
   the mondo corporate executive looking one.  If we fill a
   sufficient number of rooms they'll let us have the use of it
   for free!
*  24-hour vending room with microwave oven.  Okay, the soda
   machine was a bit pricey, but the other machines had (in
   addition to your standard junkfood) prepackaged salads and
   sandwiches.
*  Coffee shop.  Nothing really fancy, just beverages and
   pastries and sandwiches.
*  Laundry facilities.  Euphemism for a coin-op washer and dryer.

Also, the hotel is "kosher certified" and I am assured that they can also
accomodate those of the vegetarian persuasion.

As far as other food sources go, there's a Bennigan's within walking
distance, assorted "fast food" places (e.g., Taco Bell, McDonald's) within a
couple blocks.  As well as a few other inexpensive restaurants (e.g.,
Friendly's).

And for those of you interested in shopping, the hotel site is about five
miles from a rather large Outlet Mall; if you don't want to drive, I'm told
the hotel will even provide a limited shuttle service to and from the mall.

It's not definite yet, but I believe that since this whole thing is being
done under the auspices of the KLI, that we will be exempt from room tax.
 This is a VERY good thing, since Philadelphia hotels charge a massive 13%
tax!  For the mathematically challenged, that's $31.20 in taxes alone for a
single room after four nights.

So, while this is still going to cost each of you who attend a couple hundred
bucks or so, the price seems a good one and the facilities look to be quite
good.

Now, here are a couple ideas for you to consider.  I would like to begin,
Monday evening, with a small banquet.  Rather than try and work out a menu
online, the hotel has a banquet buffet available.  I have been assured that
we can guarantee both kosher and vegetarian fare at this banquet.  Estimated
cost of the meal is $16-$20, but hey, it's an opening banquet!  Does this
sound agreeable?

And, as long as I'm asking for your money, let me get the last painful part
of it over with.  I would like to ask for a "donation" of $20 per person to
help cover the incidental expenses that I'll be incurring.  And I mean
donation.  If you don't want to pay, don't feel you should have to pay, or
just don't have the spare twenty, this will not be held against you, nor
should it deter you from coming.

As promised, I'll be springing for a pizza dinner on one evening, and I plan
to keep a bathtub stocked with cans of assorted beverages (we can arrange
expeditions to the ice machines) throughout the four days.

EXPECTED TO ATTEND (estimated 90% - 100% probability)

me, Lawrence Schoen
Rich, aka Capt. Krankor
Mark Shoulson
Will Martin
d'Armond Speers
Sarah Ekstrom
Duffy, aka HoD trI'Qal
David Berreby (representing the fourth estate)

also likely to show up are David Barron and Kevin Wilson.

Face it folks, this is as good as it gets (and don't forget the free pizza!),
and I think it's looking mighty fine for such short notice.  So, if you want
to be rubbing elbows with the largest gathering of Klingon speakers this is
the place to be.

More news as it develops.  Specifically, in the next couple days (i.e., once
I sign the contracts) expect a phone number you can call to lay your money
down and reserve your room.  If you're planning on double bunking, match
yourself up with someone soon!

Qapla'

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   ::