tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 01 04:51:47 1994

Re: for beginners

According to Robert Baruch:
> OK, that would be:
>
> rut mu'tlheghmey vImughmeH tlhIngan Hol vIlo'taHvIS jIQap.
>
> But it sounds a little peculiar.  I'd rather say, "Sometimes when I translate
> Klingon sentences, I succeed."  The sticky point, as you pointed out,
> is the noun-noun-noun construction required for "Klingon sentences" =
> "sentences of the language of the Klingon".  That would probably be
>
> tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghmey (I'm pretty sure I got the order right there).
>
> This shouldn't be too confusing because { tlhIngan Hol }, as far as I can
> tell, is practically used as one word, being such a common combination.
>
> So, I'd like to see if this is correct:
>
> rut tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghmey vImughtaHvIS vIQap.

Looks okay to me. Definite improvement over the original. It
does feel strange, however, since it implies that the sentences
are owned by the language. I agree that my earlier statement
was awkward. How about another stab at it:

rut tlhIngan Hol lulo'bogh mu'tlheghmey'e' vImugh 'e' vInIDDI' jIQap.

"Sometimes, I succeed when I try to translate sentences which
use a Klingon's language." Better? Sometimes this is like a
jigsaw puzzle. When the pieces fit badly, sometimes it is
better to take it apart and start all over again.

> HolvaD tlhIngan Hol neH ghovchu' tlhIngan wo'
>
> tlhIngan lujatlhchu'meH tlhIngan Hol lughojlaHta' novmey puS neH
>
> How does one preface the previous statement with "For a long time"?
>
> --Rob

I like ~mark's convention: {qaStaHvIS poH nI'} "While a long
time happens".

charghwI'

Back to archive top level