tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 31 23:28:07 1994

Re: for beginners

| From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

| According to Robert Baruch:

| > rut mu'tlheghmey tlhIngan Hol vImugh 'e' vIQap.
|
| Less good.

(...)

| How about casting it as: "Sometimes for the purpose of
| translating a sentence while I am using a Klingon's language, I
| succeed." I'll let you try it, rather than spelling it out. You
| sound like you'd like the exercise.

OK, that would be:

rut mu'tlheghmey vImughmeH tlhIngan Hol vIlo'taHvIS jIQap.

But it sounds a little peculiar.  I'd rather say, "Sometimes when I translate
Klingon sentences, I succeed."  The sticky point, as you pointed out,
is the noun-noun-noun construction required for "Klingon sentences" =
"sentences of the language of the Klingon".  That would probably be

tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghmey (I'm pretty sure I got the order right there).

This shouldn't be too confusing because { tlhIngan Hol }, as far as I can
tell, is practically used as one word, being such a common combination.

So, I'd like to see if this is correct:

rut tlhIngan Hol mu'tlheghmey vImughtaHvIS vIQap.

HolvaD tlhIngan Hol neH ghovchu' tlhIngan wo'

tlhIngan lujatlhchu'meH tlhIngan Hol lughojlaHta' novmey puS neH

How does one preface the previous statement with "For a long time"?

--Rob

Back to archive top level