tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 28 13:06:03 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] naming things

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Lieven asked:
> we have an example {logh Hop Hut tengchaH} (SB 99), where the name comes
> before the thing, and then we have {'ejDo' 'entepray'} (ST5) where the
> name comes at the end. But ST5 has several errors, so it may be a mistake.
>
> What we have as a rule are ranks, {qarghan HoD} is the correct word order.
>
> Question: Is there any rule about naming things, like in "starship
> enterprise" or the folder "documents" on a computer.[]

Some context:

nImbuS wejDaq 'ejDo' 'entepray' ngeHlu'pu'
The starship Enterprise has been dispatched to Nimbus
 III. (ST5 notes)

DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'Daq Dajollu'
Get beamed aboard the USS Enterprise. STX

More examples:

tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga'
 Duj tI'ang ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was
 encountered in the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

qIvo'rIt pagh'e'
K'Vort Class Pagh. S7 (card title)

qIvo'rIt toQDuj 'oH tlhIngan wo' Duj pagh'e'
The Imperial Klingon Vessel Pagh is a K'Vort-class
 Bird-of-Prey. S7

Segh: bI'rel tlharghDuj
Model: B'rel Scout. KBoP

qIvo'rIt may'Duj mach
smaller version of a K'vort class cruiser. KBoP

... where {pagh} and {tI'ang} are the ships' proper names; {qIvo'rIt}, {bI'rel} and {qItI'nga'} are (production?) class names for the model; and {toQDuj} and {tlharghDuj} are types of ships.

The question is:  how do Klingons understand {'ejDo'}?  As part of the ship's proper name?  A class name?  A type of spaceship (but aren't they all starships?).  Notice that {DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'} parallels {tlhIngan wo' Duj pagh} - i.e. USS Enterprise vs. IKV Pagh.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons