tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 17 09:32:05 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] I found a mistake in one of the new Klingon words

De'vID ([email protected])

On 17 March 2015 at 17:26, Anthony Appleyard <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.speakklingon.info/about-klingon/new-klingon-words/Q/
>
> says that QaDmoHwI' DIr is a noun meaning "towel". But the compound is in
> the wrong order, and means "the skin of that which makes (things) dry".
> "That which makes the skin dry" would be DIr QaDmoHwI' .

I think that's not an error. A {QaDmoHwI' DIr} is not a "thing that
dries the skin" (as you've interpreted it), but a "skin which dries
(something else)". Presumably, before synthetics were invented,
Klingons used to dry things by rubbing them with the skins of animals.

--
De'vID