tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 06 07:08:22 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QongDaq buqHom

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, August 06, 2015
>
> Klingon word: QongDaq buqHom
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: pillow
> Source: Okrand qepHom'a' 2010

Lieven (12/07/2010):  Maltz first said that Klingons don't have pillows and he wondered why anyone would want one. But he's seen them (somewhere) and knows what they are. So when pushed - "If you have to call it something, what would you call it?" - he said {ngogh tun}. A {ngogh} is a block or lump or brick. [...] He thought more about it and said maybe another way to say pillow was {QongDaq buq} "bed pouch", but he said that could also apply to a sleeping bag. Perhaps a sleeping bag is {QongDaq buq'a'} and a pillow is {QongDaq buqHom}.

CK:  Since Klingons are accommodating of foreigners, guest rooms in hotels do come equipped with a bed but that it's most often made of the same material as the floor.

When Captain K'Vada showed Picard to his quarters aboard his Bird-of-Prey, he slapped the hard bed - more like a sleeping shelf - and sneered, "You will sleep Klingon-style. We do not cushion our bodies by putting down a pad."  Nonplussed, Picard slapped the "bed" himself and replied, "Good. I like it that way." (TNG "Unification, Pt. I")

SEE ALSO:
tun  		be soft (v)
let 		be hard (v)

--