tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 03 08:30:21 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Sweets

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 6:44 AM, Fiat Knox <[email protected]> wrote:
> puq Soj - sweets
> We already have leng Soj from KGT, but "puq Soj" seems more appropriate for
> this show.

Is the word "sweets" culturally associated specifically with kids'
food in the UK? I too think first of a children's menu. If it were me,
I'd just call it {yuch} and be done with it.

> naHlet yuch - chocolate (covered) nuts
> naHHom yuch - chocolate (covered) raisins

I am more inclined to put the words in the other order. To me, {naHlet
yuch} is a kind of chocolate associated with nuts (my first impression
is actually Nutella). On the other hand, {yuch naHlet} is a nut,
perhaps made from or coated with chocolate. Getting fancier, {yuch yub
naHlet} seems likely to evoke the right idea.

Raisins aren't {naHHom} in my mind; that would be more like a berry.
{ghIrep QaD} might be a good way to refer to raisins.

-- ghunchu'wI'