tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 03 07:36:41 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qaq

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, September 03, 2014
>
> Klingon word: qaq
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: be preferable

QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS
Better to die on our feet than live on our knees. ST6/TKW
("Dying while standing is preferable to living while kneeling").

tlhutlhmeH HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS
Drinking fake ale is better than drinking water. TKW

st.klingon [DATE?]:  the answer to the question {jarlIj qaq nuq?} ("What is your preferable month?") would presumably be a definition of your favorite month. ... What you really mean to ask is something like Of all the months, which one do you prefer?... You use {qaq}, "be preferable", adjectivally ({jarlIj qaq} is "your preferable month"). I think what you mean is better expressed by using the verb {maS} prefer with you as the subject...

See also:

QaQ 		be good (v)
Dub 		improve (v)

Sab 		decline, deteriorate (v)