tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 18 08:13:47 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngev

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

And in talk now stores are refered to as ngevwI', Hergh ngevwI'  = pharmacy.
Not sure if that's ngevwI'mey or ngevwI'pu'.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Boozer [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: September 18, 2013 8:19 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngev

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, September 18, 2013
>
> Klingon word: ngev
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: sell
> Source: TKD

As used in canon:

  DaH jIHvaD yIngev
  Sell it to me now! PK

  cha'puj vIngevmeH chaw' HInobneS
  Give me a permit to sell dilithium, your honor. PK

  rura' pente'Daq chuch ngevlaH ghaH
  He can sell ice on Rura Penthe. TKW

  tlhIlHal yIngev!
  Sell the mine! KGT

{ngevwI'}  seller (n)

  nuqDaq ghaH ngevwI''e'
  Where is the shop? TNK

  nuqDaq ghaH Hergh ngevwI''e'
  Where is the chemist (i.e. druggist, pharmacist) TNK

And since you can't sell without buying {je'}:

  vIje' rIntaH
  I have purchased it. TKD

  qa'vam De' vIje' rIntaH
  I have purchased the Genesis Data. ST3

  chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH
  [Maybe I'd like to buy something from you. (untranslated)] PK

  cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneH
  I want to buy dilithium crystals. PK

  cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneHbej
  I DEFINITELY want to buy dilithium crystals. PK

  bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh
  Buy or die! CK

TKW 213:  This is a common saying among Klingon merchants, usually uttered
when customers are in the store comparing products or sampling the available
goods, but not purchasing anything. Tellingly, there is no known Klingon
word for "browse," at least as applied to matters of commerce.

  qa' wIje'meH maSuv
  We fight to enrich the spirit.
 (or "We fight in order to buy the spirit.")

TKW 7:  perhaps, to the Klingon way of thinking, while one is alive, one
must sacrifice or give up something (the way one uses credits or latinum
when making a purchase) in order to ensure that the spirit is one's own.

  je'meH lengmey
  Shopping (TNK Category Title)

  Duj ghajchugh pagh, beylI'vo' 'oH Daje' net chaw'
  If [ship is] unowned, you may buy it from the Bank. MKE

  nuqDaq chaw' vIje'
  Where can I buy a ticket? (TNK)

  'elmeH chaw'mey je'lu'ta'bogh
  will-call tickets (i.e. "that have already been purchased") (WSC)

... or paying for {DIl} the purchase:

  DaH yIDIl
  Pay now! TKD

  Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH
  How much do you want for that? TKD

  bIDIlbe'chugh vaj bIHegh
  Pay or die! TKD

  Soj yIDIl!
  Pay for the food! KGT

  vergh 'ach DIlnISbe'
  Free parking. MKE

  HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH. wa'maHlogh
   boq'egh mI' naghmey; chen qav'ap. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.
  If [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a
   total ten times amount shown. MKE

  Duj ghajchugh vay', cha'logh boq'egh qav'ap motlh;
   chen qav'ap le'. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap le' yIDIl.
  If [ship is] owned, pay owner twice the rental to which
   they are otherwise entitled. MKE

Related vocabulary:

je' 			buy, purchase (v)
DIl 			pay for (v)
tlhong 		barter, bargain (v)
mech 			trade (v)

Suy 			merchant (n)
Huch  		money (n)
 Huch chaw'  	 credit card (TNK)
 Huch nav  	 bill (i.e. currency) (MKE)
HuchQeD  		economics (n)
malja'  		business (n)
 malja' Huq 	 transact business

Are there any financial transactions in the paq'batlh?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons