tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 21 20:23:02 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 54

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

jul told Torg that maQ donated blood for him.
--
paw maQ. SIbI' jatlh, "yIja'!"
jatlh torgh, "SeHlaw vIghunchu'ta' 'ach jIHvaD 'Iq romuluSnganpu' 'ej

--
paw maQ. = "maQ arrives."

SIbI' jatlh, "yIja'!" = He immediately says "Report."

jatlh torgh, "SeHlaw vIghunchu'ta' 'ach jIHvaD 'Iq romuluSnganpu' 'ej
HoSghaj nuHmeychaj. jutoDbe'chugh jIHeghbej." = Torgh says, "I programmed
the control panel completely but there were too many Romulans for me, [or
"to me, the Romulans were too much"] and their weapons were powerful. If you
don't save me I'm dead for sure." Again I'm using the present conditional
because I want to say "Had you not saved me I would be dead for sure." I'm
not sure a separate such structure is necessary in a language. Is there any
other way to interpret Torg's statement? I guess I he could think he was
still on the space station, asking to be rescued. Hmm, did I make it clear
enough he HAD been rescued up to now? Perhaps I should have Torg realize
that he is on board the ship and no longer on board the space station, just
before he passes out, two episodes ago.

monHa' maQ. -- mon = smile; monHa'=grimace? frown? be unsmiling? Something
like that. "maQ scowls."

jatlh, "tengchaH DajormoH'a'?" = "He said, "Did you blow up the space
station?"

jatlh torgh, "vIjormoH 'e' vInID."  = "Torg says, "I tried to blow it up."

mIwmeyDaj, meqDaj je QIjchoH.  = "He starts to explain his methods and
logic."

SengmeyDaj chIDtaHvIS paw 'eng. = "While he is admitting his difficulties,
Cloud arrives."

torghvaD  'uQ qempu'. = "He has brought dinner for Torg."

DunHa'qa' Soj 'ach 'eng vuvmeH Sopqang. = "The food is awful again, but he
is willing to eat it in order to respect Cloud."

Do', Soj Sub Sop torgh 'e' tuch jul. = "Fortunately, Sun forbids Torg to eat
solid food."

cha' loDpu'vaD jatlh torgh, "tutoDpu'mo' 'ej DaH 'aDDu'wIjDaq 'Iwraj
tu'lu'mo' tuquvqu'moHneS. = Torg said to the two men, "Because you rescued
me and because your blood is now in my veins, you do me great honour."

DIbvam vIbajmeH tlhIHvaD  Satoy'chu'." = "I will serve you absolutely in
order to deserve this privilege."

 jangbe' maQ. = "maQ does not answer."

Saghqu' qabDaj. = "His face is very serious."

torgh chovlI' 'e' Sov torgh. = I felt I had to repeat torgh to ensure all
the correct things were understood. Maybe it wasn't necessary. "Torg knows
he is assessing him."

I was writing this and at odds with the fact that the dude has just has his
guts cut up and is eating, but I needed to re-introduce the awful food. Then
I realized that's the doctor's job. Also see the way he thanks the warriors
for rescuing him, but not the doctor? I think healthcare is just too
embarrassing to mention if you're a Klingon. For a Klingon, any health
problem, like having your guts shot out, is the embarrassment equivalent of
erectile dysfunction for a human male.  Maybe the other warriors know he
really oughtn't be eating until his guts have time to heal, but don't want
to act like there's anything wrong.

- Qov