tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 21 06:45:52 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 53

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qov:
> >> mIS torgh. = Torgh is confused.

De'vID:
>> I don't think {mIS} can be used in this way

Lieven:
> I DO think {mIS} can be used in this way. :-)  qayajbe'mo jImIS.
> Unless we have an example, we might never know. On the other hand, I am
> not a native english speaker, so if there is any evidence that "to be
> mixed up" is not an emotional state, then it makes clear what is intended
> with "confused". If not, I'd accept any use that makes sense.

In addition to the simple quality {mIS} "be confused, be mixed up" we have the homophonous noun {mIS} "confusion" and the causative verb {mISmoH} "confuse".  I know of no examples in canon, but I think Qov used it correctly.

De'vID may have mixed up {mIS} with {DuD} "mix, stir" (v) - also used by some for "shuffle [cards] (i.e. in {poQ'ar} poker).  A {DuDwI'} is a "stirring stick" (used in cooking; cf. KGT 97) and I wouldn't reject *{DuDmeH maHpIn} for "mixing bowl" if I saw it.

Is there any confusion in the *paq'batlh*?  {{;-)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons