tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 13 09:39:22 2013

Back to archive top level

To this year's listing

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] the birth of a new word: qorgh

Steven Boozer (

Fiat Knox wrote:
>> So now someone can have a stab at that old Scotty line,
>>   "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is 
>>    to stop up the drain."

nIqolay q: 
> How about:
> tlhoy qatlhDa' pat buSqu'lu'chugh, chImmoHmeH qung qorghmeH ngeDqu' ghu'.

I'd drop the {-qu'} on {buS}; with {tlhoy} it's too much overkill <g>.

Regarding "drain"... I'd suggest *{DInHom} or, better still, *{bIQ ghImwI'} "water exhaust" on the model of {tuj ghImwI'} from the BOP Poster:

  peng baHjan tuj ghImwI' 
  heat exhaust for torpedo launcher (KBoP)

Some more vocabulary:

'och  	conduit, tunnel (n)
taQbang 	exhaust (n) (i.e. the exhausted material?)
bIQ		water (n)
pugh 		dregs (n)
yIb        vent (n)
ghImwI' 	exhaust (n) (i.e. the device?)

tlhuch 	exhaust (v)
nIj 		leak (v)
yIQ 		be wet (v)
SoD 		flood (v)
qang 		pour (from one container into another) (v)
lIch 		pour (into/onto anything) (v)
teb 		fill (v)
vegh  	go through (v) (i.e. an existing opening)

Okrand, Message to Lieven (1/09/2012):

  Regarding "plumber" - It turns out there is a special
  word for water pipe (not what you use for smoking - the
  kind that carries water from place to place): {qatlhDa'}.
  Though one could say {qatlhDa' mutlhwI'} and be understood,
  the normal way to refer to someone putting in pipes (for
  water or anything else) is {'och mutlhwI'}. 

Another quote from Okrand that may be relevant to plumbing (certainly on the scale of sewers):

HQ 12.2 p.7:  For the end of a longish enclosed space that one is typically inside of or experiences from the inside, such as a corridor, tunnel, or conduit (say, a Jeffries tube or a branch of the sewers of Paris),a different word is used: {qa'rI'}. This is the only word; it's used for both (or all) ends. The open entryway leading into such a space is called a {DIn}. If there's a door there, it's referred to by the usual word for door, {lojmIt}. {qa'rI'} is also used for the end of bounded space which is seen as having length even if it is not enclosed space. Thus, it is used for the end of a road, the end of a bridge, the end of a long field. (Maltz didn't think it would mean much of anything to refer to the {qa'rI'} of a square field.) On the other hand, if a bridge is under construction and lies halfway across a river or gorge or freeway, it may be said to have a {megh'an} (or {'er'In}). One could, in theory, hang a sign or flag from the {megh'an} (or {'er'In}), but one could walk on this incomplete bridge only as far as the {qa'rI'}.

Ca'Non Master of the Klingons


Tlhingan-hol mailing list

Back to archive top level