tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 06 06:18:40 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 32

De'vID ([email protected])

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
> tlhIngan Qob Haj neH.  Three potential verbs here: Qob = be dangerous; Haj =
> dread; neH = want. Here Qob is modifying the noun Klingon, and there's
> pretty much no way it couldn't be as soon as you reach it. You read
> tlhIngan, there's no N5 on it, and tlhIngan is not a timestamp, so you know
> that's the object of the sentence. The next word is Qob. That's not a word
> that can take an object, so it has to be acting adjectivally.

So it can be a noun in a noun-noun construction. {tlhIngan Qob Haj}
"He dreads the danger of a Klingon." About the same meaning either
way.

> romuluSngan nach DopDaq, qogh 'emDaq je taj QIn lan torgh.  The nach DopDaq
> was added in at the last minute,

I think {nach qogh 'emDaq} is more clear. I wasn't sure whether you
meant he had two knives (i.e., he placed one by the side of the
Romulan's head and the other by the back of his belt/ear).

> because qogh has two meanings and it was
> possible to get the wrong one here.

{qogh bIngDaq taj QIn lan} would be a threatening gesture indeed, with
either meaning.

--
De'vID