tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 06 07:14:06 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: let

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, May 04, 2013
>
> Klingon word: let
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: be hard (like a rock)

  let mInDu'Daj; Separmey rur
  Her eyes are as hard as *separ*-stones. KGT
  ("Her eyes are hard; they resemble *separ*")

  letqu' QongDaq
  The bed is very hard. CK

When Captain K'Vada showed Picard to his quarters aboard his Bird-of-Prey, he slapped the hard bed - more like a sleeping shelf - and sneered, "You will sleep Klingon-style. We do not cushion our bodies by putting down a pad." Nonplussed, Picard slapped the "bed" himself and replied, "Good. I like it that way." (TNG "Unification I")

CK:  Since Klingons are accommodating of foreigners, guest rooms in hotels do come equipped with a bed but that it's most often made of the same material as the floor.

N.B. use {Qatlh} for "be hard/difficult"

Related words:

naHlet  	nut, nuts (n) KGT
'echlet  	board (n) MKE

tun		be soft (v)