tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 19 03:32:31 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Do you, personally, accept non-Okrandian Klingon?

De'vID ([email protected])

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Lawrence M. Schoen
<[email protected]> wrote:
> There are no new Klingons words in the upcoming HOW TO SPEAK KLINGON
> Audio Phrasebook by Ben Grossblatt.

Technically true, but there are novel uses of existing words (e.g.,
the word for "putter", as in golf). There are also cases where a
choice was clearly made on one side or the other, where the canon had
been unclear or contradictory (e.g., the word for "Friday", or the
expression chosen for "Kahless the Unforgettable").

(I am deliberately referring to the words parenthetically rather than
actually giving them out in Klingon. I'm not sure the 30-day rule
applies here, since this isn't "new Okrandian canon". Nevertheless, I
will err on the safe side, but on the other hand the words have
already been discussed elsewhere.)

> Ben provided me with the lines he
> wanted translated. I took them to a group of KLI Grammarians who
> worked them over.

Is it too late to report errors? I saw at least one place where a
qaghwI' at the beginning of a word was replaced with a (backwards!)
"smart quote" in the preview pages I saw.

--
De'vID