tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 18 03:42:14 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Do you, personally, accept non-Okrandian Klingon?

Lawrence M. Schoen ([email protected]) [Hol ghojwI']

There are no new Klingons words in the upcoming HOW TO SPEAK KLINGON
Audio Phrasebook by Ben Grossblatt. Ben provided me with the lines he
wanted translated. I took them to a group of KLI Grammarians who
worked them over. I then exercised my judgement where there were
differences of opinion (this is where errors might creep in) and sent
back the phrases in Klingon. The audio on this project is also
provided by me. The KLI is credited with the translation on the
product itself.

As for new Klingon words appearing in fiction, the answer is often: it
depends. I personally know most of Pocket Books's Star Trek authors,
and some (most notably, Keith R. A. DeCandido) have repeatedly
contacted me when they needed words or phrases in Klingon. And, as
with the Grossblatt product, if I feel any hesitancy about providing a
response, I first consult with some of the KLI's Grammarians. More
often than not, this produces a list of multiple options (and pages of
commentary) when the author was only looking for a phrase. I rather
like that outcome.

--
Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen :: author :: publisher :: psychologist ::
hypnotist :: klingonist