tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 25 12:53:33 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'Il

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> On 6/25/2013 10:23 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> >> Klingon word: 'Il
>  >> Part of speech: verb
>  >> Definition: be sincere
> >
> > As used in canon:
> >
> > yI'Il! Be sincere! KGT
> >
> > KGT 189:  Thus, if the occupant of a room heard a door chime, there
> > would probably be no misunderstanding as a result of his or her saying
> > {yI'Il!} ("Be sincere!") rather than the correct {yI'el!} ("Enter!").
> > In the situation at hand, only "Enter!" makes any sense.

SuStel:
> KGT also explains that commanding with a verb of quality usually requires
> {-'egh} and {-moH}; leaving these off might be used for idiomatic
> expressions.

KGT 117:  Generally, when a verb describing a state of being (for example, {tuj} [be hot]) is used in the imperative form, the suffixes {-'egh} (reflexive suffix) and {-moH} (cause) are used as well...

> yI'Il'eghmoH
> be sincere! make yourself sincere!
>
> I don't see a contradiction with the above, since we're not told that
> {yI'Il} is how you would normally command someone to be sincere, just that
> it translates as "be sincere!"

You can also use {-choH} (change in state) without {-'egh}:

  yItamchoH
  Be quiet! ("Become quiet!") TKD

  yIjotchoH
  [Calm down!] PK

  bIboH.  yIjotchoH
  You're impatient. Calm down! KGT

In fact, I can't find any example of these suffixes being used together.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons