tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 24 09:29:34 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Satlh

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ghItlh Voragh:
>> Related words:
>>
>> naH 		fruit/vegetable (n)
>> tIr 		grain (n)
>> [...]

Lieven:
> insert here:
> loSpev 		quadrotriticale (n)
>
> The only grain {tIr} which grows on Sherman's planet {Serman yuQ}.
> I think the source for that is the TOS episode.

And we can add these Terran grains:

meyIS tIr 					sweet corn (n)
ray' tIr 					rice (n)

{tIr} can be made into or is an ingredient of:

tIr ngogh 					bread (n)
ngat						granulated cartilage (n)
chab  					pie, tart, dumpling (n)
  pItSa' chab 				  pizza (n)
'Iwchab 					blood pie (n)
  ro'qegh'Iwchab 			  *rokeg* blood pie (n)
Ha'DIbaH ghIH tIr ngogh je 		burger (n)

KGT 89f.:  if [the meat] is fresh, the "cook" may {pID} it, which involves coating it with herbed granulated cartilage (not necessarily from the same animal) mixed with some kind of {tIr} (grain) and doing very little else. The name of the granulated cartilage is {ngat}, which has also come to mean gunpowder.

SuStel [date?]:  At a qep'a' a few years ago, we asked Marc Okrand about this, and he said that {chab} would work for this. The word means any baked bread or crust sort of food. So, doughnuts are {chab}, turnovers are {chab}, and pizza is {chab}. Mince pie would be {chab}. Bagels are {chab}. ... [However] {chab} doesn't equal bread.

Time for lunch!  ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons