tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 10 06:30:10 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HovpoH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, June 08, 2013
>
> Klingon word: HovpoH
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: stardate

HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu'
 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
[This ship was demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6 but it
 was destroyed. (untranslated on card)] S33

tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
 HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh
Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998. STX

The Star Trek Encyclopedia CD-ROM defines "stardate" thusly:  "Timekeeping system used to provide a standard galactic temporal reference, compensating for relativistic time dilation, warp-speed displacement, and other peculiarities of interstellar space travel. (To those interested in the minutiae of stardate computation ... we shamelessly refer you to Appendix I in the 1996 edition of our book, Star Trek Chronology: The History of the Future, by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda)".

For an overview see the "Stardates in Star Trek Mini-Faq" at
 http://www.faqs.org/faqs/star-trek/stardates/

ngabwI's system for computing Klingon stardates is at
 http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/ (archived at  http://web.archive.org/web/20041205172915/web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/hovpohexp.htm
however the text is white on a white background; select all the text on the page to see it.)

Sustel uses a different definaition of a stardate; his system is explained at http://www.trimboli.name/stardate.html.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons