tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 07:13:21 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bop

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, July 29, 2013
>
> Klingon word: bop
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: be about, be concerned with
> Source:

SOURCE:  "More from Maltz" [HQ 14.2-3:21] < qep'a' 2005.

Holtej announced the word to the collective:

  It was during the cabaret, and Krankor observed that it's
  difficult to really do the Hokey Pokey in Klingon without
  being able to say "and that's what it's all about." In
  years past, it's all sung in English, except for the actual
  names of the body parts:  "You put your {qIvon} in, you put
  your {qIvon} out..." and so on. So Marc asked Krankor, if
  the word, were, say {bop}, how would you use it? Krankor
  replied that he'd say {'e' bop} "that's what it's all about."
  To which Marc responded, "that's what it is".

And as an example of how {bop} is used, he suggested:

  ?HolQeD bopbe' paqvam
   this book is not all about linguistics (Holtej)

  'e' bop
  That's what it's all about.
   (Qanqor at qep'a' 2005, approved by Okrand)

As used in canon:

  Dung qo' pawDI'
   qeylIS qorDu' je ta''e' neH
   bop bommey.
  Upon reaching the upper world,
   no one could speak of anything,
   but the deeds of Kahless and his kin. (PB)

Similar words:

buS 		concentrate on, focus on, think only about (v)

qel 		take into account, consider (v)
ja'chuq 	discuss (v)
ngach 	debate (v)
Del 		describe (v)

Similar expressions:

Marc Okrand asked Maltz about how to say "digress":  "He wasn't aware of a single word for that, but he said there's a commonly used phrase: {DoS chIl}. So 'I digress' would be {DoS vIchIl}. And so on." (Lawrence Schoen, qep'a' 2008)

Cf. also the idiom {may' bom pIm bom} "sing a different battle song":  "This expression means speak of another matter entirely. It is used when someone changes the topic or offers clarification on an existing one or when some new information comes to light." (KGT 118f.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons