tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 24 07:08:48 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yIvbeH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, July 24, 2013
>
> Klingon word: yIvbeH
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: sleeveless shirt (regional)

Cf. standard {yIvbeH} tunic, blouse, shirt (TNK):

KGT 57f.  Klingons are not now and never have been ones to shy away from injury, considering it nothing more than a natural consequence of battle. On the other hand, lessening the severity of an injury was seen as a means to prolong a battle. Accordingly, the traditional warrior's tunic ({yIvbeH}) was made of a material (what it was is now unknown) resistant to puncture, just to add a little protection. Accompanying sleeves ({tlhaymey}), originally not parts of the tunic itself, were generally made of animal pelts ({veDDIrmey}), skin ({DIr}) with fur ({veD}) still attached. (In modern usage, the word {yIvbeH} in most places means any shirt, with or without sleeves.) In the First City, and in most places in the Empire, {wep} means "jacket, coat" and {yIvbeH} means "tunic" - that is, a shirt or shirtlike garment with or without sleeves. In the Vospeg ({voSpegh}) region, on the other hand, {yIvbeH} refers only to a sleeveless shirt (thus retaining much of the word's original meaning, a sleeveless protective garment worn by warriors), {wep} means a shirt with sleeves, and any jacket or coat is a {cheSvel}, a word that elsewhere refers to a specific style of coat associated with, not surprisingly, the Vospeg region.

  yIvbeHlIj neH DapoSmoH vIneH
  The only thing I want you to open is your blouse. (ST5 notes)

  The word {buq} could be "bag, sack, pouch" or  even "pocket."  When clarity is needed,
  one could say, for example, {yopwaH buq} "pants pouch" or {wep buq} "coat pouch"
  for "pants pocket" or "coat pocket," but when the context is clear, {buq} alone would
  suffice for "pocket." [Marc Okrand to Lieven L. Litaer on  November 15th, 2010]

So... {yIvbeH buq} "shirt pocket".

N.B. {yIvbeH SeQHa'} "t-shirt" (TalkNow!).

Related words:

wep		jacket, coat (n)
ngup 		cape (n)
paH 		gown, dress (TNK) (n)