tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 22 07:11:34 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: cha'nob

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> > Klingon word: cha'nob
> > Part of speech: noun
> > Definition: ritual gifts
> > Source: KGT (213 KE, 244 EK, 255 EK)

SuStel:
> This word first appeared in KCD. Pok is given cha'nob as part of his Rite
> of Ascension. It's also mentioned in the Language Lab.[]

KCD:  "Presents brought by a close family ally to celebrate the coming of age of a young man or woman. They are to be opened before the actual ritual, as they are believed to bring the youth strength and courage. Traditionally, the gifts include money, food, and tokens of family history. Although grammar tells us that the number is unspecified, to bring only a single gift would be a horrendous insult."

The KCD Language Lab illustrates a {lopno'} by showing a group of Klingons gathered around a table with food and {cha'nob} gifts.

Related words:

nob 		gift (n)
 - vaj malopmeH tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'
    So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a gift. (Hallmark)
 - nobmey qembogh yIrIDnganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
    Don't trust Yridians who bring gifts. TKW
 - Unlike humans, Klingons do not give gifts at weddings.
    (Worf, TNG "Data's Day")

nob 		give (v)

much 		present (v)
 KGT 71:  The word for "perform music", whether instrumental or
 vocal and instrumental together, is {much}, which in other
 contexts means "present", as in present a gift to someone.
 - tlhIHvaD paq chu' wImuch 'e' bochaw'mo' chequvmoH 'ej chebelmoH.
   lut'a'raj Dun laDlaHmeH tera'ngan, tera'Daq tlhIngan lut'a' paq
   wa'DIch wIchenmoHta', lut'a' 'oH paq'batlh'e'.
    It is a great honor and pleasure that you have allowed us to
   present you with the first Terran edition of your glorious epic,
   the {paq'batlh}. (Vincent Van Gerven Oei's speech at qepHom
   wa'maHDIch)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons