tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 07:28:51 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: toy'wI'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, July 16, 2013
>
> Klingon word: toy'wI'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: servant
> Source: TKD

AFAIK never used in canon.

toy'wI''a'  	slave (n)

  DIHIvbe'ch[ugh] qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a' DImoj
  Attack or be slaves in their world. ST6

toy'  		serve [a master] (v)

  wo' toy'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
  To die while serving the Empire is the hope of every Klingon. TKW

  tlhIngan Hol yejHaD Datoy'mo' pInaD
  Because you serve the Klingon Language Institute, we commend you. FMC

Do not confuse {toy'} with:

jab 		serve food (v)
wech 		serve fermented food at its peak (v)

(Somewhat) similar words:

tlhab 	be free (v)
ghatlh 	dominate (v)
chargh 	conquer (v)

pIn'a' 	master (n)

jeghpu'wI' "conquered people" (n) (DI)
DI (glossary):  "more than slaves, less than citizens, this status is given to occupants of worlds conquered by the Klingon Empire." (Keith R.A. DeCandido's novel _Diplomatic Implausibility_, c2001)

Trek trivia:

"I have seen what the Klingons do to planets like yours. They are organized into vast slave labor camps. No freedoms whatsoever ... You'd be far better off on a penal planet. Infinitely better off." (Kirk, "Errand of Mercy"

"Why should a slave show mercy to the enslavers?" (Lokai, TOS "Let that Be Your Last Battlefield")

A stylized chain printed on one's clothes was used as a symbol of slavery on 892-IV. (TOS "Bread and Circuses")

"The honor is to serve." (Worf to Riker upon being asked to join the latter's team in war games [TNG "Peak Performance"])

Gowron dismissed Lursa and B'Etor with a curt "Women may not serve on the Council" (TNG "Redemption I").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons