tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 12 06:52:51 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lojmIt

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon word: lojmIt
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: door, gate

Ruben:
>> Is this a pun with "locksmith"?

Hmm... could be, especially if you pronounce it as if it were Spanish: *lokh-meet*.  Or it could be a "typo" pun as the H, J and K keys are right next to each other on the standard English keyboard.  I.e. {lojmIt} < *{loHmIt} < "locksmith"??

There are a few other Spanish puns in the vocabulary.  We know that Okrand knows Spanish well, as his 1977 Ph.D. dissertation ("Mutsun Grammar") was based on colonial Spanish archives from the Mission San Juan Bautista area of northern California.  (I've examined it; we have a copy at the University of Chicago Library where I work.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons