tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 05 08:18:48 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] types of phrases

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> - a Klingon word for "slang"?

Klingon for the Galactic Traveler gives us:

The primary difference between the speech of older and younger Klingons, however, lies in the choice of vocabulary. Younger Klingons describe some of the vocabulary used by their elders as {mu'mey Doy'} ("tired words"), preferring to use what they call {mu'mey ghoQ} ("fresh words") or even {Hol ghoQ} ("fresh language").

> - English or Klingon expression for the kinds of things you say when
> you reject a suitor (e.g., "I must wash my hair now")?

"diss" and "put-down" may work, though both are a bit more general than what you want. "rebuff" may also work, or perhaps "cold shoulder phrases".

> - an English translation of {QI'lop}?

I've seen people refer to it as "Military Day", but I don't believe that's canon.

> - a Klingon word for "idiom"?

While not canon, I might suggest {mu'tlhegh pIQHa'} "indirect/roundabout/devious phrase"