tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 04 07:41:31 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HoS

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, January 04, 2013
>
> Klingon word:   HoS
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     strength, energy, power

HoSHey
apparent (though not yet proven) strength. PK

HoS lI' Dalo'Ha'chu'
You are a total waste of good energy! PK

HoS law'qu' luch law'qu' je lo' Duj nuH pat Hub pat je
A huge amount of the ship's power and technology is devoted to its weapons grid and defensive systems. SP3

nISwI' HIch motlh HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq je lurarlu'bogh 'oH tlhIngan nISwI' beH'e'
The Klingon disruptor rifle is a standard hand held disruptor, attached to an extended power supply stock. S14

tIqDaq HoSna' tu'lu'
Real power is in the heart. TKW

Suvlu'taHvIS yapbe' HoS neH
Brute strength is not the most important asset in a fight. TKW

pung ghap HoS
Mercy or power. [sic] TKW

HoS law'qu' natlhmo' So'wI'
Due to the tremendous energy drain of a cloaking device... S33

pIraqSIS HoS waw'
Praxis Energy Facility (MKE)

qIb boche'meH qeylIS HoS bolo' 'ej SuvwI' vaSDaq boquvmoHlu'.
Control the Galaxy with the might of Kahless and be immortalized in the Hall of Warriors. MKE

ghIq HoSHa'choHpu' moratlh
And Morath's strength was gone (PB)

Language notes:

"I don't think it's necessarily the case that, for example, the verb HoS be strong is being used as a noun (meaning strength). By the same token, I don't think it's the case that the noun HoS strength is being used as a verb (meaning be strong). This may be what happened historically (that is, in an older stage of the Klingon language, there may have been a verb HoS which people started using as a noun, or there may have been a noun HoS which people started using as a verb), but, right now, all we can say is that there is a pair of words. We don't know which developed from which (or if either or both developed form something else)." (st.k 6/97)

Cultural notes:

TKW 34:  Just as "blood" is used figuratively to refer to power, "water" carries the opposite and negative connotation of lack of control. Strength cannot coexist with weakness within an individual or a successful society.

TKW 120:  the hammer [{mupwI'}] is a symbol of power to Klingons

KGT 129:  for a Klingon, a hammer is a symbol of power. The phrase {HoSghaj; mupwI' rur} ("powerful as a hammer") is based on this notion.

"Strength to the Empire!" was a salute heard during Archer's trial in 2152. (ENT "Judgment")

The B'aht Qul challenge - *{baHatghul}? - is a Klingon physical strength game similar to Terran arm wrestling (TNG "The Chase")

Trek notes:

"Secure in his power as military governor of Organia, Kor gloats over his captive." (TKW 118 ill.)

Related words:

HoS  	be strong (v)
HoSghaj  	be powerful, be potent (v)

laQ 		fire/energize [e.g. thrusters] (v)
tlhuD 	emit [energy, radiation] (v)
'ul		electricity (n)
woQ 		authority, political power (n)
woQ'a'  	ultimate power (n)
Hong  	impulse power (n)

Noun phrases:

HoS choHwI'		transtator
HoS Hal  			power supply
HoS lIngwI'  		power generator
HoS QaymeH 'och   	power transfer conduit
HoS waw'  		energy facility
HoSchem  			energy field
HoSDo'  			energy beings
HoSHal  			energy source