tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 27 06:33:47 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HoS

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>   Cf. John Ford's Klingon proverb: "If there are gods, they do not
>> help, and justice belongs to the strong: but know that all things done
>> before the naked stars are remembered." (TFR [1984], p. 23 et passim)

De'vID:
> Qun lutu'lu'chugh, QaHQo' chaH, 'ej ruv lughaj HoSwI'pu' neH; 'ach tuQbe'bogh
> Hov tlhopDaq wanI'mey luta'lu'bogh luqawlu'taH.

This proverb comes up from time to time.  Someone (I don't remember who) suggested the perfect {Hovmey Huv}  "clear/unobstructed stars" which is an improvement over {tuQbe'bogh Hovmey} "unclothed stars (stars that don't wear clothes)".  In fact, Okrand may have had this very proverb in mind when he wrote WRT {Huv} "be clear,  not obstructed":

KGT 159f.:  The slang usage of {qu'} is currently extremely common among Klingons, and it has pretty much displaced another slang term with the same set of meanings (excellent, wonderful, etc.), {Huv} (literally, "be clear, not obstructed"), which was in vogue not all that long ago. The use of {Huv} for excellent is now considered old-fashioned.

John Ford's version of Klingons was indeed "in vogue not all that long ago"!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons