tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 18 07:10:26 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HoS

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, February 18, 2013
>
> Klingon word: HoS
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: be strong

  HoS; 'Iw rur
  strong as blood  KGT

  tlhIngan HoS law' 'Iw HoS law'
  the Klingon is as strong as blood (HQ 13.1:10)

  tlhIngan yoH HoS verengan yoH puj
  The Klingon is braver than the Ferengi (slang) KGT

  tlhIngan yoH HoS Hoch yoH puj
  Klingons are the bravest of all (slang) KGT

  vaj ruS cher 'Iw rap cha' ghot HoS rap cha' ghot vuD chen yIn ruS
  So the bond was sealed in blood of two equal in body and thought, the bond of life. PB

  ghIq HoSHa'choHpu' moratlh
  And Morath's strength was gone PB

 Etymology notes:

  "I don't think it's necessarily the case that, for example, the verb {HoS} be strong is being used as a noun (meaning "strength"). By the same token, I don't think it's the case that the noun {HoS} "strength" is being used as a verb (meaning "be strong"). This may be what happened historically (that is, in an older stage of the Klingon language, there may have been a verb {HoS} which people started using as a noun, or there may have been a noun {HoS} which people started using as a verb), but, right now, all we can say is that there is a pair of words. We don't know which developed from which (or if either or both developed form something else)." (st.klingon 6/1997)

Cultural notes:

  "Do you know why we are so strong? Because we are a unit. Each of us is part of a greater whole." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  Cf. John Ford's Klingon proverb: "If there are gods, they do not help, and justice belongs to the strong: but know that all things done before the naked stars are remembered." (TFR [1984], p. 23 et passim)

Similar words:

HoSghaj   	be powerful, be potent (v)
rach 		fortify, strengthen, invigorate (v)
qu' 		be fierce (v) (slang)
laQ 		fire/energize [e.g. thrusters] (v)
puj 		be weak (v)
HoS  		strength,  energy,  power (n)

PUN:  "horse power"?

--