tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 25 06:18:18 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Invitation Translation

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT asks :
> I've received a request to translate a wedding invitation.  The English is:
>
> The honor of your presence is requested at the marriage of Megan Elizabeth
> Hamilton and Clayton Solomon Kriewaldt Saturday, the sixth of April at five
> o'clock Grace Episcopal Church, 200 West Lang, Alvin, Texas
>
> At the moment I have:
>
> tlhogh taymaj DaghoS pIneH.
> Clayton Solomon Kriewaldt nay Megan Elizabeth Hamilton.
>
> I'm tempted to use -neS.
> And I have no idea how to render the date.

We have a full Terran date from the Star Trek: The Experience communique:

  tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh: HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh
  Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998.

I would have just used the numerals "1998" in the text.  { wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh} is presumably how the date is read out loud.

I know that times of day are mentioned in the TalkNow: Klingon, e.g.

  five o'clock p.m. (17:00)
  wa'maH Sochvatlh rep

but are dates and days of the week discussed there?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons