tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 02 10:56:27 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qa'meH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >> HQ 5.1 p.10:  This is the only way to say "replacement proverb"
> >> currently, but in the past, the common term was the lengthier
> >> {quvqa'meH vIttlhegh}, literally, "proverb for (the purpose of) being
> >> honored again".

Quvar:
>> Note that in Klingon Monopoly, there was a verb {qa'} used in the
>> meaning "replace". Until proven otherwise, I am still supposing this
>> was a mis-interpretation of {qa'meH}.

De'vID:
> A mis-interpretation by... whom? Marc Okrand? Maltz? The creators of
> Klingon Monopoly?
>
> Quvar:
> > The verb has never been listed or used like this before.
>
> It's true that Klingon Monopoly has a few errors.
>
> OTOH, maybe it's an example of back-formation in Klingon. Younger Klingons
> read {qa'meH} "replacement", and assumed that *{qa'} was a verb meaning
> "replace". Older, more proper Klingons won't use it, but younger Klingons
> have no problem with it. It's a {mu' ghoQ}.

Whatever it is, {qa'} was used three times in Monopoly:

Quj wa'DIch MONOPOLY Huch nav qa' tlhIngan QaS
Klingon forces replace original MONOPOLY bills. MKE

Chance 'echletHommey Community Chest 'echletHommey je qa' quv
 'echletHommey vIq 'echletHommey je
COMBAT and HONOR cards replace Chance and Community Chest cards. MKE

Quj wa'DIch juH qachmey mebpa'mey je qa' raQmey chu' monmey chu' je
Custom OUTPOSTS and CAPITALS replace original Houses and Hotels. MKE

Note that the verb {qa'] does not completely supplant {tam} "substitute, exchange" which Okrand also used to translate "replace" in Monopoly:

cha'pujqutmey chIm lutamlu'
Drained dilithium crystals are replaced. MKE

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons