tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 22 07:58:15 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] tlhInganpu' chu'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> STID-vaD tlhInganpu'qoq chu' renlu'pu'.

'eD (Bellerophon, modeler):
> 'o De'vID! wa' wot vIyajbe': "ren." wotvam yIQIj!

{ren} "design, map out, plan" (v)

Marc Okrand wrote to architect Lieven Litaer (10/24/2011):

  [Maltz] did say, though, that there is a verb {ren} that
  means design or map out or plan. He said that {renwI'}
  (which I guess in its most general sense means "designer")
  is a perfectly good term for architect, but it can also be
  used for someone who designs a vehicle, say. That is, it's
  not restricted to buildings. He said it would not be used
  for architect in the sense of someone being the architect
  of a plan to do something; it has to be used of a person
  who designs a physical object of some sort. {ren} is not
  the same as {'ogh} "invent", which implies creating some-
  thing that hasn't been created before. And it's not the
  same as {nab} "plan" which is used for planning an event
  (or a battle strategy or whatever), just as the noun {nab}
  "plan} cannot be used to refer to blueprints.