tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 18 08:50:43 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Sunlight and Starlight

On 8/18/2013 10:49 AM, Bellerophon, modeler wrote:
I'm no canon authority, but I've noticed other compound words that
strongly imply additional vocabulary.

Klingons may not make a fetish of logic, but they don't abandon
it completely like humans.

Languages are usually logical, but often the logic of language is not obvious. The details are usually buried in history.

Perhaps there once was a noun *{wov} that meant "light," and that noun formed genitive constructions like *{maS wov}, *{jul wov}, and *{Hov wov}. For some reason, however, the noun *{wov} disappeared from the language, or became technical jargon. The construct *{maS wov}, however, stuck around, perhaps as part of a saying or a famous line of literature, but since it no longer made sense as a genitive construct, it began to be interpreted as a single word: {maSwov}. If all this were true, it would mean that *{julwov} and *{Hovwov} are NOT words as yet undiscovered by Federation linguists, and it would be wrong to assume their existence.

Etymology!

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/