tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 12 07:10:31 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] {je} in noun-noun constructions?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

maHvatlh:
>>> Can I use {je} in a noun-noun construction to say something like this?
>>>     {chal'a' bIQ'a' je jojDaq jIH.}
>>> Does that make sense at all, or is it forbidden somehow?

Felix:
>> In paq'batlh (paq'raD, Canto 9, Stanza 2), there is the phrase:
>>
>>   Dung qo' pawDI'
>>   qeylIS qorDu' je ta''e' neH
>>   bop bommey
>>
>>   "Upon reaching the upper world,
>>   No one could speak of anything,
>>   But the deeds of Kahless and his kin."
>>
>> Then, in paq'raD, Canto 12, Stanza 4:
>>
>>   vaSvamDaq
>>   tuq veng je quvvaD
>>   Heghqangbogh SuvwI' tu'be'lu''a'
>>
>>   "Is there nobody in this hall
>>   Prepared to die for the honor
>>   Of your tribe and city?"

Felix's PB examples prove this usage is kosher - which is good since they are the only such exact examples I know of - but I did find a similar example showing that two nouns linked with a conjunction function as a unit:

  quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
  Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant. STX

{<quwargh> tach Qe' je qoDDaq} "[inside] <Quark's> Bar and Restaurant."

And there's also this interesting line from the Warrior's Anthem with two relative clauses linked by {je}:

  yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI' Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw
  The blood of battle washes clean the warrior brave and true. (Anthem)

{yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'} "the warrior brave and true".  (OK, so it's poetry and maybe the rules are relaxed a bit.  Who knows if "modern" Klingons will speak this way in the 24th century?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons