tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 11 09:32:12 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Se'tu'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, April 11, 2013
>
> Klingon word: Se'tu'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: saucepan
> Source: TalkNow - Learn Klingon!, revealed 30 September 2011

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

Mark Okrand wrote to qe'San (11/02/2011):

  I haven't talked with ***** about saucepan, but here's what I
  was thinking. The picture is, as you say, a little pot (or pan)
  with a single handle, which is exactly what a saucepan is [...]
  {'un} is any sort of pot or pan, so the picture is a picture of
  a {'un} (though lots of other pictures might also be used for
  {'un}). A {nevDagh} has two little handles on it, so the picture
  is not one of a {nevDagh}. Thinking a bit more about it, perhaps
  {'unHom} would have been better--or at least more restrictive.
  Or maybe there should be a new word. Like {Se'tu'}.

[I suspect a pun here, but I can't see it!]

Speaking of sauce, here are some we know of:

ghevI' 	sauce for {qagh}
'uSu' 	sauce for {tlhatlh} (*gladst*)
qettlhup	an all-purpose sauce (a thickened version of {chanDoq})
gha'poq	*grapok* sauce (used on *gagh* or *racht*)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons