tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 24 09:19:15 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh cha'maH Hut: <no' chavmey>

Qov ([email protected])

I was actually aware of most of the canon. I suppose I had never really internalized that while {jatlh} gets used both ways, ja' only has the listener as object.

I have some habits that date from when it was just me, and blue copy of TKD with an embossed cover, and unanswered please to usenet in search of anyone else who believed this little book was more than a joke. I should purge the old, incorrect habits, but in a way I'm proud of them, like a regional accent.

I am pleased any time an error or a discussion coming from the story leads to canon and opinions. I miss the days when the list teemed with beginners, so all the basics and stumbling blocks were being explained over and over again and we could never forget them.

But I don't miss having no word for "hold" or "table" or "picture."

- Qov

At 08:56 24/01/2012, you wrote:
On Jan 24, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Lieven Litaer <[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlh SuStel:
>> That's not a verbal phrase; it's a noun-noun construction.
>
> Yes, that's correct, {wIch} + {ja'wI'}
> But doesn't this {ja'wI'} tell the {wIch} ?

In this example, the {ja'wI} tells {maH}. The first word tells us so.

> {qagh Sop qagh SopwI'}  ..
> {wIch ja' wIch ja'wI'}  ??

{tuj muv tuj muvwI'} ??

[N V-wI'] isn't the sentence [N V] with a {-wI'} tacked on. I used to think so, but I've found too little supporting evidence and been shown too much contrary evidence.

> Or is the thing being told the indirect object?
>
>  {lut qaja'}
>  "I tell you a story"

That sort of prefix abuse generally has the prefix pointing to the "indirect object". Your hypothetical example still has {lut} as the object, something we don't seem to have canon support for.

-- ghunchu'wI'