tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 28 06:45:42 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] how to use {nej}?

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> How would I say, "Search for the targ in the forest", or "Search for
> the record in the data banks"?

jIjangpu', jIjatlh:
> Do you have a specific issue with {ngemDaq targh yInej} or {qawHaqDaq
> ta yInej}?

jatlhtaH De'vID:
> Also, what if I want to leave the search target unspecified?  e.g.,
> "Search (in) the forest", "Search (in) the data banks"?

jang quljIb, jatlh:
> My instinct is to go with {ngem yInej} for "Search (in) the forest,"
> and {qawHaq nej} for "Search (in) the database."

{nej} has been used in canon and the object is always the thing being
searched for:

vInejqa' (TKD p.37)

"I am searching for him/her again"

jagh luHoHmeH jagh lunejtaH (TKD p.65)

"They are searching for the enemy in order to kill him/her"

'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

(TKW p.200)

"When an escaped prisoner looks for a guard, he always finds one"

If I were to see {ngem yInej} and {qawHaq yInej}, I'd understand them
as "look for the forest" and "look for the databanks".

>"Search the catalogue for the book," I'd render {mem yInej 'ej paq
> botu'}.

Apart from the {nej}, I think you'd need {yI-} in the second part as
well. {botu'} there strikes me as odd considering the sense of the
English version.

QeS 'utlh