tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 26 20:11:46 2011

[Tlhingan-hol] Loose Klingon

More and more, the new canon we see appears to break rules. I believe that some of it is purely error, mostly the forgotten rules of no Type 5s on the first noun of a noun-noun, net instead of 'e', and Type 7 on the second verb of a sentence-as-object. However, there are some "rules" that I am beginning to question.

Verbs as nouns

These keep showing up. "It is not known if all verbs can be used as nouns," says the TKD Addendum, and we know that {tlhutlh} can never be a noun, but what if most verbs can indeed be used as nouns—at least, the ones that seem to have obvious meanings as nouns?

Variable semantics

The semantic roles of subjects and objects in Klingon seem to change all the time. I can {mev}, I can {mev} you, making you you {mev}. Sometimes we're given explicit instructions on how to use a verb, but most of the time we rely on the semantics of the English translation. Suppose Klingon semantics aren't so strict? Suppose you can use any semantic role you like as subject or object, so long as context makes it clear what you mean? {jIDIng} "I spin," {gho vIDIng} "I spin the circle," {gho vIDIngmoH} "I spin the circle." (The difference between the latter two is an explicit indication ({-moH}) that the subject is the agent, as opposed to, say, an instrument or a force.

Other?

There may be other examples of "loose grammar" that I haven't thought of. I'm not sure whether to take these as signs that Okrand can't keep the whole thing in his head and makes LOTS of mistakes, or whether Klingon is supposed to be more "yeah, whatever" than we give it credit for. Remember the rigor their grammarians give to parts of speech...

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/