tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 28 06:20:56 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Usage of {HuS}

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ghunchu'wI' is right:  {HuS} has never been used in canon.  Our only clues, such as they are, might be the ways Okrand uses the verb "hang" in English:

KGT 57:  "Traditional clothing worn in battle, known as {Hip}, the word currently used to mean "uniform", had both a protective function and a more utilitarian one, since it was from the clothing that weapons (nuHmey) or ammunition (nIch) could be hung."

KGT 58:  "A skin belt (qogh) both held pants (yopwaH) in place and provided a place from which to hang weapons or weapon holders."

KGT 150:  "As this word [ghIgh] literally means "necklace", perhaps the slang usage is based on the old practice of identifying one's position within a military unit--for example, one's assignment on a ship--by means of a symbol hung on a chain worn around the neck."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons