tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 26 08:51:15 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Usage of {HuS}

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Nov 26, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Philip Newton <[email protected]> wrote:

Has {HuS} "hang" been used in canon?

I don't believe it has. I've been watching.

Is it intransitive ("the sword is hanging on the wall"), transitive
("the warrior hangs his sword on the wall"), or both?

I would prefer the "be suspended" meaning. It's easy to get the other one by adding {-moH}.

Does it mean "kill by suspending" (as in "the man was hanged"), simply
"suspend" (as in "the stockings were hung from the chimney with
care"), or either?

I wouldn't expect it to be limited to execution.

I'm wondering whether "hangman" is {nuv HuSmeH Quj}, {nuv HuSmoHmeH
Quj}, or something along those lines....

{HuS nuv} seems reasonable to me. Whatever the verb means, I think it works.

-- ghunchu'wI'