tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 18 06:18:35 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Countries

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> Okrand may have used Cantonese before:
>>
>> WRT {yan} "sword":  In Cantonese, *yahn* means "edge
>> of a sword" (lay'tel SIvten)

De'vId:
> hadn't heard that this was supposed to be a pun.  I wouldn't have
> thought of it if someone hadn't told me (i.e., unlike "dragon",
> which is immediately obvious if you say the Klingon word to a
> Cantonese speaker).  Yes, it sounds like a word in Cantonese, but
> it's not a common enough word that I'd expect someone to know it
> if they didn't speak the language (the exception is if they
> learned Cantonese through association with martial arts, and know
> the names of weapons and weapon parts).

Well, as Susvaj reported in that at qep'a' 2006 this was a back-fit:

   [Okrand] canonized the word {yan} from Yan-Isleth "Brotherhood
   of the Sword   [7/2006]

The Yan-Isleth is an elite Klingon division charged with protecting the chancellor, whom they guard at all times; i.e. it's his personal security force. (DS9 "Apocalypse Rising")

Could one of the DS9 writers have known some Cantonese?  Or perhaps Paramount's fight coordinator - i.e. the guy who choreographs fight scenes and teaches actors to handle weapons, especially swords and bat'leths, believably - who may have a martial arts background?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons