tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 08 00:26:07 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Shopping

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 20:48, Qov <[email protected]> wrote:
>> scissors - cha''etlh pe'wI'
>
> I didn't guess this one but should have.

pe'wI' is pretty clear - something that cuts.

But what is cha''etlh? Is it a new word? If so, what does it mean?

cha' 'etlh are two blades... is there a space missing? Is {cha''etlh}
{cha' 'etlh}, just smooshed together? Or something else?

That word confused me.

>> umbrella - SIS yoD
>
> guessed it!

Does this mean that we now have canon confirmation of a noun {SIS} "rain"?

As far as I knew, we had a verb {SIS} "to rain", but no noun.

But if this were a verb, then an umbrella (umbreally? wtf, fingers?)
would be a "the shield rains", which seems... unlikely. (Can the verb
{SIS} even take an overt subject in Klingon? It can't really in
English - *"the cloud rains" or *"the sky rains" seems off to me.)

{SIS yoD} makes most sense to me as a noun-noun construction: "rain
shield". But that presupposes a noun {SIS}.

Meanwhile, what about {peD}? That's also only a verb, as far as I
know. I wonder whether we'd be justified in guessing a noun {peD}
"snow". Or if the snow falls as hard balls of ice, I suppose that
would be {rI'} :D

>> toothbrush - Ho' teywI'
>
> Have always called it Ho' Say'moHwI'. Explains something about the Klingon
> approach to toothbrushing.

:)

> Note also that it's Ho'Du' Say'moHwI' tlhagh and
> Ho' teywI'  (plural/singular)

Interesting indeed.

>> towel - QaDmoHwI' DIr
>
> I have just called it a QaDmoHwI'

I wonder why it's not {QaDmoHmeH DIr}? I would have expected a -meH in
that sort of construction.

>> television - HaSta jIH
>
> That's weird.  HaSta and jIH sort of mean the same thing.

I wondered the same thing.

So I appreciated the clarification posted to the list since then.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>