tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 03 07:56:50 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Shopping

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>>> comb - jIb Ho'Du'

Qov:
>> This makes me sad because I like to have the extra clarity of using
>> -mey when using a body part name to describe a non body part and it
>> looks like I'm wrong.

qe'San:
> Possibly as this is a descriptive usage it's the way to go and as -mey
> on body parts implies all over the place you wouldn't want someone to
> think you wanted to decorate your hair with teeth you'd knocked out of
> an enemy ;-)

Note Okrand's comment on {nevDagh} "type of pot with handles (used for food preparation)" in KGT:

KGT 97:  The smaller {nevDagh} is characterized by its V-shaped handles, termed {DeSqIvDu'} ("elbows"; note the {-Du'}, the plural suffix for body parts is used here even though the handles are not literally body parts).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons