tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 21 07:06:26 2011

Re: chomuSHa''a'? ghorgh chomuS!? - Question about muSHa'

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Felix Malmenbeck <[email protected]> wrote:
> I fairly often see the word muSHa' being used as a way of saying "love",
> supposedly due to the logic that because muS is stronger than par, muSHa'
> should be stronger than parHa'.
> I personally do not much agree with this logic; -Ha' is used to signify
> that something previously done has become undone (and one must not first
> hate somebody in order to love them), or that something is done wrongly (and
> while I cannot be certain, I'd be surprised if Klingons equated loving with
> hating incorrectly); it's not a polar opposite marker.

lo'vam Daparchugh, yIlo'Qo'. lo'vam Dayajchugh, yIbepQo'.

I like to think that {-Ha'} means only one thing, but no single English word
translates it. We stretch the idea in one direction or the other by
translating it either as "undo" or as "wrongly", where it really ought to be
more like both at the same time. I also don't have a problem interpreting it
as a simple "opposite" in the right context.

{muSHa'} definitely doesn't always mean the same thing as "love", but I can
imagine a situation where both words can be appropriate expressions of the
same concept.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level