tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 07 08:11:59 2011

Re: Translating TEDTalks

Andrà MÃller ([email protected])

I'd prefer a real interlinear glossing OR a direct translation according to
English grammar too, something along the lines of "The universe is the
biggest. The universe is the oldest." or better: "The universe is bigger
than everything. The universe is older than everything." (by the way, good
use of {qan} instead of {ngo'}).
But as I understand it, those literal translations were just a aid for us,
they don't go into the TED subtitles. I hope. No need to get agressive here.
Greetings,
- André

2011/2/7 ghunchu'wI' 'utlh <[email protected]>

> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Felix Malmenbeck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > 'u' tIn law' Hoch tIn puS. 'u' qan law' Hoch qan puS.
> > "Universe big many all big few.  Universe old many all old few."
>
> ghay'cha'. bImughchugh, yImughqu'. pImba' mu'tlheghvam pab, mu'tlhegh
> motlh pab, 'ach pab ghajbej. pab yIvuv. mu'mey tItamQo' neH.
>

> Don't do this unless you're already doing a "linear translation" and
> disregarding grammar entirely throughout a piece. It's worse than
> mock-translating {tlhIngan jIH} as "me Klingon" in the fashion of a
> Tarzan movie.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level