tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 04 09:36:54 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Loose Klingon

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 18:43 28/11/2011, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh wrote:
On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:
> Verbs as nouns
> These keep showing up.

Example? (I don't consider the paq'batlh chapter titles to be nouns.)

For the record a lot of my nuq bop bom chapter titles are verbs or verbal concepts. It just seems more natural in Klingon, and I would translate many of them into English as nouns without trying to imply in any way that they were nouns in the Klingon original.

> what if most verbs can indeed be used as nouns?at least, the ones that seem
> to have obvious meanings as nouns?

There's a basic difficulty with that idea. Different people often have
different ideas of what is an obvious meaning. It would be nice if we
didn't have multiple opinions about whether the noun meaning
would/should refer to the action of the verb, or to its result, or to
a possible agent, etc.

Hear hear.