tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 04 09:01:58 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] how to use {nej}?

Qov ([email protected])

On a related topic, I came to the chapter in my story where a character
gets searched by a security guard on the very same day that I was
searched at a TSA checkpoint. I promise the story was planned for longer
than the vacation. (Yeah, welcome to my life).<br><br>
nej is to search for something, so I rejected {vInejlu'} and {munej Hung
yaS}.<br><br>
I used constructions like {jIHDaq nuHmey nej Hung} and {porghwIjDaq
nejqu' yaS}, but I'm okay with {nejwI'} and {nejwI' jan}. I think I used
{woj nejwI'} in a recent posting, which could probably be better
interpreted as a Geiger counter, but I expect in context it was
understood as shorthand for a {woj lo'bogh nuH nejwI'}.<br><br>
I used to be very careful with -Daq always being an extremely physical
location, but I keep being reminded of canon that doesn't, so I've become
a little freer with it. Remember that TKD was written to rein in those
who would translate ANY locative English pronoun with -Daq.<br><br>
wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap<br><br>
At 08:21 27/11/2011, De'vID jonpIn wrote:<br>
ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:<br>

<dl>
<dd>&gt; How would I say, &quot;Search for the targ in the forest&quot;,
or &quot;Search for<br>

<dd>&gt; the record in the data banks&quot;?&nbsp; I presume the thing
being searched for<br>

<dd>&gt; ({targh}, {ta}) is the object of {nej}, but how do I indicate
the<br>

<dd>&gt; parameters of/restrictions on the search ({ngem},
{qawHaq})?<br><br>

</dl><br>
QeS 'utlh:: <br>

<dl>
<dd>Do you have a specific issue with {ngemDaq targh yInej} or
{qawHaqDaq<br>

</dl><br>
I have no problem accepting {ngemDaq targh yInej}, but I wasn't sure
about {qawHaqDaq}, or things like {tetlhDaq}, {memDaq}, {tameyDaq},
etc.&nbsp; If the parameters of the search is not a physical location, is
{-Daq} still the right suffix to use?<br><br>
Also, what if I want to leave the search target unspecified?&nbsp; e.g.,
&quot;Search (in) the forest&quot;, &quot;Search (in) the data
banks&quot;?<br><br>
Actually, &quot;Search (the) database&quot; was the idea I originally
wanted to express, and I first wrote down {qawHaqDaq nej}, but then it
seemed wrong to me when I looked at it.<br><br>
-- <br>
De'vID<br>